Precision Camshaft ( PCS ) is a reputed manufacturer of chilled cast iron cam shafts. Cam shafts are ground on a cam grinder and finished products are supplied to major automobile manufacturer.
To achieve the desired surface finish, we were asked to supply a suitable filtration system. The main criterion’s considered were filtration quality and low filtering media consumption.
After evaluating the systems PCS concluded following:
- High filtration quality. Better surface finish.
- Improved fluid life.
- Filtering media consumption dropped by 80%
- Maintenance reduced on pumps, machine slides and coolant nozzles
- Reduced break-downs.
- Improved Tool life as the wheel dressing frequency reduced.
PCS has now installed a 6000 LPM filtration system to handle the complete flow of an Export Oriented shop. Main feature of system is as follows
- Fluid from grinders follows to ‘U’ bottom chutes placed below shop floor.
- Grid of chutes with a gradient of 1:60 carries the dirty fluid to filtration system.
- A scraper conveyor handles all the chips/ larger chunks of dirt.
- A pair of Vacuum filters the complete flow of 6000 LPM.
- A unique gate arrangement is provided to isolate any Vacuum filter without stopping fluid flow to shop.
- A set of 6 pumps supply the fluid back.
- Skimmers remove the floating tramp oil.
- A PLC controlled panel with audio/ visual alarm controls the smooth functioning of the complete system.
Benefits of Centralized system seen after 2 years of operation:
- Coolant life increased by 4 times.
- Filtration system placed outside shop, increased the shop utilization by 25%. Customer was able to accommodate more grinders in the same shop.
- All dirt handling is outside shop, keeps the shop clean.
- Energy consumption reduced.